Friday, June 4, 2010

God never closes a door. . .

but he opens a window.

The next time someone says that to me, I'm going to slam the window. And the door.

I just walked out of The Advertiser, the newspaper where I worked for 20 years, for the last time and, truly, I'm not one bit sad. It had become a very difficult place to work. I always loved the work but what went with it wasn't worth the stress. And, obviously, I can write about food without working for a newspaper.

Something happened yesterday that made me laugh out loud. A part of my "aloha" Taste section lead on Wednesday was about how much fun (and frustration) I'd had over the years finding elusive recipes for readers. I mentioned in particular one that, for some reason, has stuck in my mind for more than five years: a chocolate bar cookie called, the reader said, a Froggie.

I combed the Web, checked my hundreds of cookbooks, contacted chocolate companies and never found it.

So what appears on the fax late yesterday afternoon? A recipe for a San Francisco FOGGIE. Foggie, not FROGGIE. I'm SURE this is it because it's a clip of a story from The Advertiser in the right time frame. Thank you, S. Wood!!!!!

Now you think I'm going to share the recipe with you, right? Nope. I'm going to test it. I'm going to gather some other chocolate recipes and I'm going to make it a lead feature either on this Web site or, if I'm able to successfully negotiate a new feature in the Star-Advertiser after it opens on Monday, in that newspaper.

Meanwhile, as my Catholic teachers used to say, "possess yourself in patience." Take one Hershey bar and call me in the morning.

Is there a recipe you can't find no matter what you do? I need a substitute to obsess over now that Froggies, er, Froggies have come into my life. Send your question soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment