Monday, June 14, 2010

Fish and poi?

Forgot to mention in my blog about the Hawaii Kai Farmers Market that I experienced something new (to me) and delicious there that I'm going to play with and will share.

At The Hawaiian Chef, Juanita Kawamoto makes poi-battered fish and it is 'ono!

She takes a'u (marlin) or 'ono or other firm white-fleshed fish, cuts the fillets into squares and immerses the fish in a mixture of fresh Island-grown brown eggs and thinnish poi flavored with paprika and Hawaiian salt. This she then dips in mochiko (rice flour) and fries crisp in a hot, oiled wok. You can add garlic, too, she said. It would make a great breakfast with hot rice and fried eggs!

I was only able to bug her for a few minutes so I have to try this and see if I can get the consistency right, but I'll do so when I can.

I'm going to be up to my earlobes in helping with the Friends of the Library booksale, providing food for volunteers. (No, I'm not cooking it all!).

The sale opens Friday with member night. It's worth coming to and you can join the Friends there if you aren't already a member; starts at at 5 p.m. through 9 p.m. Only members admitted that night.

The sale continues through the 27th at the McKinley High School cafeteria. There are literally thousands of boxed books waiting to be sold with the shelves stocked anew each day, so it's worth multiple visits. The local cookbooks tend to go fast, I must admit (especially since I tend to buy them all — nah, just kidding, sort of).

63rd Annual Booksale Get the Flyer

Location: McKinley High School Cafeteria, 1039 S. King Street

June 18Members' Preview Sale, 5:00-9:00 PM
New members are welcome to join at the door.

June 19-27Open to the Public
Daily Hours:
June 19 – 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM
June 20 – 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM
June 21-24 – 11:00 AM to 7:00 PM
June 25 – 11:00 AM to 8:00 PM
June 26 – 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM (All books 50% off!)
June 27 – 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM (All books 50¢ each)

Of course, there's food involved....

Food available at the Booksale:
Friday, June 18 (Members' Preview Sale) – Shaka Wagon
Saturday, June 19 – Bakesale, Kevin's Two Boots
Saturday, June 20 – Kevin's Two Boots, Joe on the Go
Saturday, June 26 – India Cafe
Sunday, June 27 – Joe on the Go

1 comment:

  1. not that i'm complaining.... i LOVE your site/blog, but is there possibly another layout you could use? i like to see your pictures with the articles, but this layout is.... interesting.

    great blog!!!

    ReplyDelete