Tuesday, June 1, 2010

E komo mai!

Aloha kaua, readers. I'm Wanda Adams, soon to be formerly of The Honolulu Advertiser (which closes Sunday). I've got lots of plans for new food projects so you'll be seeing me around.

Meanwhile, here are some food photos to whet your appetite.

If the technology doesn't defeat me totally, I'll be posting here periodically to keep you up to date on my cooking discoveries, food writing projects, kitchen tips and kitty escapades. Kitties like to "help," especially when there's flour to be tracked on the floor or something delicate on the counter to be batted off or fish is involved.

Here are some recent food photos of which I'm proud. I'll be writing about all manner of Island food on this blog.

Last night, I made a rustic olive roll that I had seen on television and it was delicious and so easy, though not fast: three risings and punchings over nearly four hours. But the actual work is so easy: You make an instant yeast dough with bread flour, olive oil, yeast, salt, thyme (fresh or dried) and warm water, knead briefly, throw in whole seeded olives (both black and green or kalamata and green), rise, punch down in 30 minutes, rise, punch down in 30 minutes, rise and form into lumpy coils, brush with olive oil and scatter with Parmesan cheese, rise once more time (whew!), then bake 15 minutes at 380 degrees. I got it from the web by Master Bread Maker Didier Rosada but it's one that chef Novelle did on that cooking school show on TV. I love rustic bread. I'm going to try it with half whole wheat, add the cheese into the dough. I also added some sun-dried tomatoes (minced) because I had them. And I want to try it with flat-leaf parsley and fresh thyme, too.

I'll post a pic when I get a minute.

5 comments:

  1. Well now you are going to make me work really hard tomorrow and go back to the store. Thanks for the recipe and directions. Good luck with all the new avenues for your future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mahalo for your years of great work- We produced the West Kauai Plantation Heritage Cookbook a few years ago - which you kindly mentioned in your column...
    Onwards and upwards!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will miss your newspaper articles, not just the food but the book reviews and travel as well. Personally I think the Advertiser made a mistake but as the poster above said - onwards and upwards. Good luck with your new endeavors I wish you well.

    Winnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. "What the caterpillar calls the end of the world the master calls a butterfly." – Richard Bach

    Wanda, You are flying free now my friend! :-)
    Will be watching yo here with admiration!
    All the best to you,
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your kind comments. I'll keep communicating; can't help myself. Got some projects starting and looking for part-time work so we'll see what the good Lord has in store for me. Look for my first monthly feature in the Star Advertiser June 30. I'll be doing a historically oriented story on Island foods each month. Also will continue my Origins video for ShareYourTable.com.

    ReplyDelete